Sunday, August 8, 2010

The end to a very long week...

This week was a mess to say the very least. For those of you that enjoy a good story...read on! It all started with Isabel's snot filled nose on Monday...running green...not such a good sign for us especially with such bad ears. Most often following any kind of nose running is an ear infection, even with our tubes. I get a call from Isabel's school on Tuesday morning...."Isabel is not feeling well...she is not herself at all and running a fever of 101...can we give her Tylenol." My reply, "Of course give her tylenol, see if she will nap and i will be there to pick her up right after her nap to take her to the doctor." My first instinct was "Oh great this must be a really bad ear infection." See the thing with Isabel is that even though she has a million ear infections she never runs a fever...just mild fussiness. It used to be that i never knew they were occurring, but now her ears drain fluid. The weird thing about Tuesday is that her ears were not draining. So, I picked her up on Tuesday....and could immediately tell that she was feeling puny. Off to the doctor we went...and to find CLEAR EARS...clearest they have been in a long time! The doctor says it probably is an upper respiratory infection; give her tylenol for the fever, ear drops for prevention of infection, and zyrtec to clear her up.

Okay....well....later that night the fever boosted up to 104.4 and she vomited twice; Phillips and I were freaking out. We called the emergency pediatrician on call and she gave us one hour to get her fever down....or what, I don't really know. But we did more tylenol and popsicles and it went down to 102.8. The entire night went a little like this fever, fever breaking with enormous amounts of sweat, fever, fever breaking, fever, fever breaking, and so on. I slept with her for apx. four hours and then we were up at 3:00 am watching Barney videos until she finally fell back asleep at 7:00. I knew this was not a stomach virus because she only vomited twice and when the fever was really high. So we are now to Wednesday....fever all day around 101 to 102 even with medicine and then into Wednesday night with fever all night long. I took her back to the doctor on Thursday and that is a totally different blog story...it was unbelievable.

You know those times that you see a mom and their kid is acting out of control and you may or may not pass judgement....but probably say to yourself my kid won't ever act like that cause I wouldn't let them.....well, yes siree I was that mom and my kid was that kid in the doctors office. It was the most embarrassed it have been in a really really long time.

Anyway same thing at the doctor with fever at 101.4, but this time the doctor prescribed the infamous Amoxicillin to kill the bug...whatever it was. Thursday night we had fever back up to 104.8 and then to 105.1 and vommitting. We called the doctor back that night and she said as long as she was drinking fluid and looking alert, talking, and making some sense then there was no need to go to the hospital. So her fever breaks around 3:00 am on Friday morning and she stayed fever free all day Friday and Saturday and Sunday!!!

I on the other hand, somehow came down with the worse case of strep throat that i have ever had...with ulcers lining the back of my throat. Phillips checked me out on Friday and called me in some Amoxicillin and numbing medicine to get through the weekend. I am feeling a little better...but it still hurts real bad to swallow, talk, or move my neck around. We rested all weekend and hopefully we are in for a better week starting tomorrow!

Here are some pics from last Sunday of Isabel posing for me in the sunroom! This sweet face makes being mom...and all that comes with that...so so worth it!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hate she was so sick. Cole always runs a high fever - it even gets so high he starts to talk crazy talk. It is not fun at all. Also, I hate to warn you but the dr.'s office just gets worse. I have definitely been that mom with that kid a time or two! So glad she is better and I hope you feel better soon.